Skip all navigation Skip to page navigation

DHHS Home | A-Z Site Map | Divisions | About Us | Contacts |

NC Department of Health and Human Services
Women's and Children's Health Home
N.C. Public Health Home
North Carolina Immunization Branch

Annual Required Immunization Reports - Colleges and Universities

Annual Immunization Reports for the 2024-25 school year will open in fall 2024.

G.S. 130A-155.1.(a) requires persons attending a college or university, whether public, private or religious, to present a Certificate of Immunization or a record of immunization from a high school located in North Carolina. The registrar of the college or university is responsible for assuring the required immunizations have been received by all new (undergraduate and graduate) students enrolling in college each fall.

The statute applies to all students except the following:
Students residing off-campus and registering for any combination of:

  • Off-campus courses
  • Evening courses (classes beginning after 5 p.m.)
  • Weekend courses
  • No more than four-day credit hours in on-campus courses

If at any time the above student status changes to: on-campus courses, course load of more than four (4) credit hours, on-campus residence, and/or enrollment in day-time courses, a Certificate of Immunization or record of immunization must be presented on or before the date the person first registers for a quarter or semester.

Frequently Asked Questions about Online Reporting

Q. What if I have no new undergraduate or graduate students enrolled at my school?
A: Fill out the online summary report form and enter “No” for question 13 to be in compliance for reporting.

Q. What if a student has not met the immunization requirements 30 days after school started?
A: Students have until the close of business on the 30th calendar day after school has started to submit immunization records to remain in compliance. On the 31st calendar day, students who do not meet the minimum immunization requirements, do not have an immunization record on file, or are not in-process to receive required immunizations must be excluded from school per public health law. The student may not return to school without those documents.

Q. What if I make an error?
A: Please do not resubmit the form. Contact us through email with the specific details of the error, including school, grade level, and question on which the error occurred. You may also call 919-707-5558 for assistance.

If you would like to discuss this process please send us an email.


Information on vaccination requirements and resources for communicating with parents can be found on our Resources for Schools page.